A few users are reportedly facing the Microsoft Setup Bootstrapper Has Stopped Working issue when attempting to open one, multiple, or all tools present inside the MS Office suite. This problem is reported to happen on several Windows versions (Windows 7, 8.1, and 10), and it is confirmed to appear together with many versions of Microsoft Office (2016, 2013, and 2019). On MS Office 2013, MS Office 2016 and MS Office 2019, the Bootstrapper is accountable for the initialization of an app built utilizing the Composite App Library. This comparatively new technology was created for simplifying the dependencies required during the installation procedure.
- 1 Reasons Of The Microsoft Setup Bootstrapper Has Stopped Working Error :
- 2 Try The Following Solutions To Resolve This Error:
Reasons Of The Microsoft Setup Bootstrapper Has Stopped Working Error :
It’s possible to encounter this error while you’re attempting to launch the tools inside the MS Office Suite, and there’re multiple diverse reasons for this particular problem. Here is a list of a few of them:
- The installation files or registry keys are corrupted.
- The communication between the MS servers and installer is blocked by the 3rd-party antivirus program.
- The Task Scheduler is disabled from the Registry Editor.
- The conflict with the IObit program.
- The office installation is not compatible with your version of Windows.
- The AppComparFlags break the updating procedure.
Try The Following Solutions To Resolve This Error:
So, after acquainting the reasons for this error, you would be wondering how to solve it. Keep on reading this article to find the best solutions that can help you.
Solution#1: Uninstall the 3rd-Party Antivirus Program (If Applicable)
A few users have stated that in their cases, the problem was fixed after they uninstalled their 3rd-party antivirus software. As it turns out, there’re numerous overprotective AV suites (Avast, McAfee, and potentially more) that’ll block the updating function of the MS Office suite, which will wind up triggering this particular error. If this situation is applicable to the situation you are facing; you may be capable of resolving the error by just disabling your real-time protection of the security suite.
Of course, the steps of carrying it out are specific to the AV suite that you are utilizing. But remember that a few users have stated that the problem was just fixed after they totally uninstalled their 3rd-party antivirus program from the system. If you are still facing this error after coping with the 3rd-party security suite or this solution was not applicable, then simply move down to the next solution mentioned below.
Solution#2: Enabling The Task Scheduler Again Through The Registry Editor
If the Task Scheduler is simply disabled from the Registry Editor, then this issue will happen, too. Therefore, you ought to re-enable the Task Scheduler using the Registry Editor. Here’s how you can do so:
- First of all, hit the Windows + R buttons at the same time for launching the Run box.
- Then, simply enter Regedit in the dialog box > click OK for opening your Registry Editor window.
- Then simply, go to this path: Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Schedule.
- After you’ve chosen Schedule, simply double-click on Start from the right panel.
- Now, simply change the Value data to 4 > choose Hexadecimal > click on OK for saving changes.
- After that simply, restart the computer > launch the application that reasoned the issue, then check if the issue is gone.
Solution#3: Use The Microsoft Fix-It Program
Luckily, Microsoft created an automated app equipped to resolve this particular problem message (and some others). Numerous affected users have stated that they have managed to fix the error by simply running this Microsoft Fix-It tool. This tool will fix various issues that finish up blocking tools from being opened, removed, or installed. You can make use of it on Win 10, Win 7 and Win 8.1. If the problem is reasoned by the damaged registry keys or by the files from the uninstalled or existing tools, this program may finish up fixing the problem automatically. Here is a quick tutorial on how you can deploy this fix:
- First, simply download the .diagcab file.
- Once it’s been downloaded, simply double-click the file to launch it.
- At the primary prompt, click Advanced > ensure that the box linked with Apply repair is checked automatically > click on Next for proceeding.
- Wait until the first detection phase is done > click Installing at the primary prompt.
- On the next page, choose the tool that you are encountering problems with (most likely MS Office suite) > click on Next.
- Then, click Yes, try uninstalling.
- Wait until the procedure is finished > reboot the PC and check if you are still facing the same issue.
If you are still facing the problem even after utilizing the Fix-it tool, move on to the next solution.
Solution#4: Removing The Office Installation And The AppCompatFlags Key
At times, you can only resolve this error unless you delete the Office installation and remove the AppCompatFlags key. Here’s how to do so:
- First of all, hit the Windows + R buttons at the same time for opening the Run box.
- Then, simply enter appwiz.cpl in the box > click on OK.
- In the Programs & Features window, locate the 3rd-party antivirus program and loBit program > simply right-click to select Uninstall > follow the directions showing on your screen for removing the program from the computer.
- After that, hit the Windows + R buttons at the same time again for opening the Run box.
- Then, simply enter regedit > click OK for opening the Registry Editor > go to this path: Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags.
- After that, simply right-click on AppCompatFlags for selecting Delete.
- Restart the computer > open the application that reasoned this error > check if the issue is resolved.
The Bottom Line:
From this article, you can get all the necessary info about what Microsoft Setup Bootstrapper really is, and different reasons for the Microsoft Setup Bootstrapper Has Stopped Working problem. What is more, you can acquire fixes to resolve the error.